Bad habits start subtlety, it initially does not have any power or control over the victim but with time, as the victim supposedly derive satisfaction from the habit, its influence begins to fester in the victim. Many times, bad habits start as escape route from some hurts or to avoid some other sins. But the bottom line is when the act becomes uncontrollable, it has become reinforced by demons and such a person needs to break free from the yoke of the habit through the power of the Holy Ghost.
Anything that brings a guilty conscience is a sin. Nobody might be aware of it but your conscience judges you each time you do it, makes it a sin. Habits that falls under this category include; watching pornography, masturbation, lasciviousness, impure motives, peeping toms (looking at ladies’ nakedness) etc. other habits people get addicted too are drinking, smoking, hard drugs, sexual immorality, evil desire and the less subtle ones like lying, abusing, jealousy, nagging, TV/games/internet/mobile phones addiction etc. until you see it as a challenge, you are not ready to break free from them.
How does it start?
When we commit sin and do not feel sorry for it, it empowers the sin. By constantly committing that sin, you open yourself up to demonic influence. A demon will enter begin to reinforce the habit in the victim. Is it possible for a born again to be addicted? Yes! After I became born again, and entered into ministry, I still struggled with some habits but God delivered me out of them. However we must be careful not to pick up new ones as you are dropping old ones.
How to break loose:
1) Guide your thoughts: Proverbs 4:23”Keep your heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life
2) You cant stop wrong thoughts from coming into your mind but you can control yourself not to think about them. Above all, let the word of God dwell in you richly Colossians 3:16.
3) Desist from whatever association or action that triggers the action: if a person trying to break free from smoking doesn’t change his friends, they will soon convince him back to smoking. If watching lewd literatures, pornography triggers impure motives and sexual arousal in you, desist from them.
4) Times that we are alone are our most vulnerable times. When alone sing Christian songs, do things that will make your spirit man to be more active. So that evil spirits will not be able to dominate us in our thought realm. At the same time, look for activities that will replace the time you spend on those indulgence.
5) Think more about the word of God. our minds functions like computer and what we feed it is what it will be bringing forth, Philippians 4:8”Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy–meditate on these things”.
6) Seek help through counsel and prayer partners. Many people usually carry the burden of bad habits alone, they are at times ashamed to say it out. But the moment you put the devil to shame by seeking help, your deliverance start instantly.
7) You must discipline yourself. A great deal of self discipline is needed to break free from habitual sins. You cannot do it by yourself but by constantly relying on the Holy Ghost in fasting and praying for divine strength, you shall overcome.
These are not the conventional prayers but Word-praying and it involves fasting Matt 17:21. You must read and continue to meditate on the following bible verses and prayer points.
1) Romans 8:2 I claim my victory through the Holy Spirit in Jesus name.
2) Colossians 1:13-14 I decree that I am free from demonic and satanic dominion of (mention the habit) by the blood of Jesus.
3) James 4:7 Holy Spirit empower me to resist the devil in Jesus name.
4) 2Corinthians 10:5 I pull down all mental strongholds of (mention the habit) in my life in Jesus name.
5) 2Peter 1:3-4 I partake of the divine nature of God in Jesus name. therefore whatever does not give glory to God in my life like (mention the habit) be destroyed by fire in Jesus name.
6) Ephesians 3:14-21 Holy Spirit strengthen my mind, emotions and will that my self worth would be based solely on Your love for me and that You will do exceedingly and abundantly above what I ask or think.
7) Psalm 91:15 Lord I call upon You, answer and send help to me speedily.
8) 1John 5:14-15 Lord I thank You for answered prayers.
At every point in time, you must continue to decree your victory in Christ Jesus.
Importantly, you must know that devil will not give up without a fight! There will be counter attacks. In case you fall to some of the counter attacks of the devil, do not be discouraged, don’t think the battle is lost, continue from where you stopped and move on.
Be disciplined enough to always pray, fast and take corresponding actions/decisions in line with your desire result.
Finally, report your progress to your pastor/prayer partner.
Victory is yours in Jesus name.